I am so excited to introduce to you an amazing western homemaker and great friend of mine, Mrs. Gretchen Hilley. You’re going to be blown away at the creativity and vision this cowgirl has. Gretchen manages to keep a gorgeous home while being a mom and a wife of two rambunctious cowboys. On top of that, she’s a full time elementary school teacher. Whew! For all of you teachers, moms, and wives of cowboys, you know how difficult it can be to manage a schedule and keep your homestead running. Sit back and relax! She’s going to spill all of her homemaking secrets and advice, as well as give us a tour of her amazing western palace!
Interview with Gretchen Hilley
- First off tell us a little bit about yourself.
I’m on my 13th year of teaching elementary school…
**Enough said 🙂
- Whenever you started decorating your new house, what was the first step you took in order to form a vision of what you wanted?
Color. I really thought about a color scheme. Since my big project was chalk painting my kitchen cabinets turquoise the rest of the house needed to flow.
*Turquoise chalk paint can be found on Amazon! This is not her exact color, her color is CC Caldwell Santa Fe Turquoise .
- Do you use sites like Pinterest to help you generate ideas? If so, what sites do you use most often?
Yes! Pinterest is the best! However, we need more blogs like yours to pin western inspired homes for decorating ideas!
- What room is your favorite and why? Since our house has an open floor plan, the whole bottom of the house is my favorite. We don’t have curtains and the sun shines in the windows all day. It’s cozy, colorful and just a happy place to be.
- What would you say is the most important thing to keep in mind while you are in the decorating process?
Have fun and throw the rules out of the window! When we were building our house lots of our friends were building or just finished building as well. We’d stop by their beautiful new homes and the first thing I would notice is that they were all the same. The same things you see on pinterest over and over, the same bathroom cabinets you get at lowes… everyone is safe! Forget about the rules! Grab interesting furniture, make bathroom cabinets out of odd pieces. Have fun!
- What is your favorite store to shop at when purchasing home decor items?
Sadly enough, we are lacking in the western decor department here in GA. I’d have to say Hobby Lobby is my go to place for decor. You can usually find lots of rustic pieces and typically at a decent price. Whenever we go out west I’m sure to snatch up anything I love and know I’ll never get a chance to purchase otherwise!
- Do you have any tricks or hacks that help you keep your homestead organized/clean?
I was once told, “There’s a place for everything and everything has its place”. Those are words of wisdom. Just doing a little bit each day will keep your home under control. The fact that we don’t have a TV in the house might help the situation as well! 😉
- Can you give us any advice on picking color schemes or themes?
In the western world I think we can get caught up in everything being too colorful or too blah! If you aren’t careful, you can look around and realize your whole house is barnwood brown! My mom taught me a good lesson with my first house. She said my furniture and decor was so neutral and “blah” so we painted my walls wild colors! In our new home, I knew I wanted fun, turquoise kitchen cabinets, so I kept the walls a neutral color.
Check out the adorable chairs with the back numbers!!!
- What is your favorite kitchen item?
I’m not sure the name of it, but there is this little round knife contraption. The blade is a circle. It rolls… I use it to cut up our frozen pizzas! Haha! No really, I’m not much of a cook, but after reading your first crockpot recipe and how simple it was, I think I’ll try it out!
*This link will send you to Gretchen’s favorite little round knife contraption. 🙂
Western Palace Tour
Cow Canvas Link:
Turquoise Arrow Link
Hope everyone has enjoyed the Hilley Homestead! Please feel free to comment below if you have any questions about this homestead. Tune in next week for a cowgirl devotions followed by another Houlihan recipe!
Katie @ the Houlihan Homestead